The Great Northern Railway Line to Beltana was officially opened in 1881. The railway station building is a substantial stone structure and behind it is a large timber framed, galvanized iron freight shed and a platform. To the north is a small stone building that was used by the standby crews as Beltana was a changeover station. The train service from Beltana to Pt Augusta ran three times a week and took about 12 hours.
The railway line was re-routed 11km to the west in 1956 and in 1967 the general store and post office and exchange moved to the station building. When the new bitumen road, following the line of the "new" railway line was opened in 1983, the general store moved once more to attract the passing traffic. The railway station is currently undergoing major renovations and restoration.