This small stone building was opened in 1893, replacing a wood and iron building moved from Sliding Rock to Beltana in 1878. It comprises a single room, in which all primary classes were taught by the one head teacher. Over time, additional timber framed iron rooms were added to the front and side, but white ant damage caused them to be removed in 1980. The internal layout was also changed – windows were enlarged and also blocked up, and a little wood heater for the cold winter days was installed.
The school was well attended for most of its life. Records show pupil numbers to be around 45 in the early 1900s, 20 in the 1930s and 40s and 15 in the 1960s. The school eventually closed in 1967 and for some years a school bus ran daily to Leigh Creek.